Olive oil is one of the best oil in the world which is made from olives(also called Jatoon in India), a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean Basin. The oil is produced by pressing whole olives. It can be used in cooking, baking and topping. It provides 884calories per 100gm. It is available as Pure and Extra Virgin Olive oil.
- Pure Olive Oil: It has a light color and is transparent. This oil is meant for cooking purpose. Whatever you want to cook using heat you can cook using this oil.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This oil is dark in color and in not meant for heating. So it can not be used as a cooking oil. Rather it is used for topping and salad dressing. You can add 1-2 spoons of extra virgin oil to anything you cook at home.
So, both type of oils are different. It depends on you where you want to use them.
Benefits of Olive Oil:
- Cholesterol: Olives are a source of good cholesterol. It helps to reduce bad cholesterol which comes from bad fat. All the bad oils, cheap oils, refined oils are bad sources of cholesterol.
- Healthy Heart: People who have high bad cholesterol may develop heart problems. Cholesterol blocks the arteries so our heart is unable to pump the blood properly which increases the chances of a heart attack. It helps opening the arteries and prevents heart problems.
- Monounsaturated Fat: It is rich in monounsaturated fat which is a heart healthy fat. It helps our heart to function properly.
- Diabetes and Depression: It helps to reduce the problems of diabetes and depression.
- Anti Cancer: It helps to reduce the damage caused by the free radicals which cause cancer. So it is also anti-cancer.
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory: It is loaded with antioxidants which reduces the free radicals that are produced in the body. Chronic inflammation is among the leading causes of many diseases. This includes cancer, cardiovascular diseases, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, arthritis and even obesity. It can reduce inflammation. The main anti-inflammatory effects are mediated by the antioxidants one of which is oleocanthal, which is anti-inflammatory.
If you are using Clarified Butter, refined oil or any other cheap oil then you are making your health worse. So it is very wise for you to add it in your daily diet nutrition.
How to distinguish Real from a Fake Olive Oil Product:
At the time of purchase do make sure that you are buying a real one.
Most of the olive oil is made in Europe. There are European, Italian and American brands available. Your product must have a trademark like USDA(United States Department of Agriculture) or IOC(International Olive Council) approved.
You can also check whether the product is real or not by putting the oil in freezer for an hour. If it freezes then it fake else it is real.
See Also: Cholesterol: All you need to know!
Facebook: Health Mutant