We all love sugarcane juice or ganne ka ras (common name in India). India is one of the leading producers of sugarcane in the world. It provides quick energy boost and quenches our thirst. It is not only refreshing and good in taste but also has many more health benefits other than just providing glucose to our body.
It is rich in carbohydrates, proteins, minerals like calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, and potassium, and vitamins A, B-complex, and C, sugarcane juice provides very good nutrition to the body.
Sugarcane juice is made from raw sugarcane. Raw cane is crushed between the rollers of a machine and the juice is extracted from the cane. Thus the juice obtained is fresh with no chemicals added to it. But the packed cane juice which is available in the market has chemicals added to it by the manufacturing companies which is not good.
So it is always recommended to drink freshly prepared cane juice.
Sugarcane Juice Nutrition:
- 1 glass=240mL
- 180 calories
- Carbohydrates=44g (Fiber=14g , Natural Sugar=30g)
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice:
- Rich in Anti-Oxidants: It protects cells and immune system by destroying the free radicals or oxidants which form in the body due to oxidation of the cells. It protects the body from infections and helps in fighting diseases by boosting the immune system.
- High in Diuretic: It is high in diuretic which means that it helps in kidney function. When the fluid content increases inside the body and there is mineral imbalance then your kidneys are not able to flush out the fluid which makes you bloated and heavy which is not good. Cane juice is natural diuretic which is very important for the urinary tract which helps kidneys flush out extra fluid and keeps them healthy.
- Boosts Energy: It provides you quick energy by replenishing the glucose and electrolytes like potassium in the body. It helps in relieving you from stress, fatigue and tiredness.
- Low Glycemic Index: As it has low G.I. so it will not spike the insulin levels in the blood. When you drink the juice it will not raise insulin levels because of the 14g fiber present in it. So it is also good for diabetic people.
- Aids Digestion: It is rich in potassium and thus it aids in digestion by keeping the digestive system in good shape and prevents stomach infections. Plus 14g fiber helps in proper bowel movement and prevents the problem of constipation.
- Prevents Tooth Decay: It protects us against tooth decay and bad breath as it is rich in minerals.
- Anti-Cancer: It is alkaline because it is rich in magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron and manganese. This helps in shrinking the cancer tumor as the cancer cells cannot survive and grow in alkaline environment. Thus it helps in fighting cancer especially breast and prostate cancer.
- Protects Liver: It is very good for liver as it protects it from infections. It regulates the bile levels in the body thus aids in digestion and reduces the pressure on the liver. It is very good for liver suffering from jaundice as ti also helps in reducing bile levels.
- Good for Skin: It contains alpha hydroxy acids which helps in curing acne, reduce blemish etc. It is also has anti-oxidant properties and thus protects the skin from ageing effects. It helps in the production of new healthy skin cells thus giving you a smooth skin.
- Cure Febrile Disorders: Febrile disorders are most common in children which cause fevers with high temperature. Sugarcane juice helps in curing the febrile disorders by boosting the immune system.
There are no sugarcane disadvantages or side effects but you should take care of your daily sugar intake. 1 glass has approximately 30g sugar. Sugar overdose varies from person to person. If you are not a active person and do not do workout then you can drink juice 2-3 times/week because you need to keep your sugar intake low. If you workout regularly then you can drink a glass of cane juice everyday. But if you are already overweight and your goal is weight loss then do not provide sugar to the body directly in the from of glucose as is present in cane juice because you already have a lot of stored energy in your body as fat.
You can add ginger, mint and lemon to it to increase its benefits and flavor. Ginger is good for digestion and inflammation, while lemon boosts your immunity. If you have blood pressure problem do not add salt.
See Also: Glycemic Index